Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Older house wiring puzzle

On Sep 13, 1:42�pm, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:48:10 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Sep 11, 9:29?pm, Steve Barker wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:27:52 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

bob haller wrote:
On Sep 11, 12:34?am, Steve Barker wrote:
bob haller wrote:
does the clients homeowners insurance know they have K&T?
The home really needs a complete rewire bringing up to current code
once you muck with this a future fire can see you on the hook for
damages and insurtance company can go after you.........
K&T is very obsolete and what of attic insulation? as you said you
cant imbed K&T in insulation and the roof is the largest loss of heat
in a home......
you say client, are you doing repairs there?
their insurance, like mine, probably couldn't care less.
GUARANTEED they will if theres a fire. you having been the last to
work on the wiring will be on the hook. are you insured? liability if
theres a fire? are you a registered electrician?

besides TODAY most insurance companies wouldnt take on new customers
with K&T
BULL****. ?pure and simple bull****. ?Bob buddy, we've been down this
road before in this group about K&T wiring and your Bull**** theories
about insurance. ?I even ASKED my *new* insurance agent about this exact
thing, and he said "we could care less". ?He also told me they're not
concerned as to who worked on the wiring last, cause I told him I do all
my own work. ?So, why not just drop the bull**** insurance thing about
this type of wiring. ?There's absolutely NO documented evidence about
K&T wiring causing fires, there's absolutely NO documented evidence
about K&T wiring being covered with insulation being any more dangerous
than if not covered, AND there's absolutely NO documentation to
substantiate your bull**** claim that insurance companies will not
insure a house with K&T wiring. ?Why don't you just get off it? ?Did
your mom whip you with K&T wiring, or what? ?What is your big ****ing
deal anyway?

I beg to differ with you.
There is not an insurance company doing business in Ontario Canada
that will write new business on a house with
1) K&T wiring
or
2) aluminum wiring without electrical inspection proving either
compatible (coalr) devices or properly installed copper pigtails

ANd very few that will write new business on houses with
1) Cast iron ?waste stack

or
?2) Galvanized water pipes.

Or non UL listed wood burning stoves or fireplaces

My daughter is assistant operations manager of a relatively large
general insurance brokerage (agency) here in Kitchener/Waterloo and
placing insurance on these types of properties is getting EXTREMELY
difficult.

So, what you're telling me is that a guy goes and buys a 80 yo house
from the original family (never rewired) ?and he flat cannot buy
insurance without a complete rewire??? ? Sounds like reason #459 not to
live in canada if that's the case.- Hide quoted text -

actually common in the US. just check with state farm, they will nt
insure a new customer with K&T

you cant sell a home if new owner cant get homeowners insurance

Unless you sell it cheap enough that he can pay cash, and he's willing
to take the risk of total loss and live without insurance.

From what I hear there is a LOT of that in many areas of the good old
USA. An old shack that wouldn't be worth a year's insurance if you
COULD get it, built on a flood plain or insecure base that no company
would ever insure, and not even an AMERICAN bank would write a
mortgage on.

Lots in the outback of appalachia and the Ozarks, and in the lowlands
of Georgia etc.- Hide quoted text -

add detroit to the low priced homes are the median price of all homes
sold in detroit now down to about $12,500... down from 90 grand a few
years ago.

If you have a worthless home then why buy insurance? but to get a LOAN
you MUST HAVE INSURANCE.

and in any case once the OP mucks with the wiring, espically if he
isnt a registered electrician he is on the hook if theres a fire., let
alone the horror of possibly causing someones death, espically a child!