Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Your experience with Fry's

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I once bought a rather pricey video card that had been returned.
I had no way to inspect the contents at the store. When I got
home, instead of the expensive video card, a cheap junk
commodity video card had been substituted. The previous buyer
had done the swap, and the expert Fry's staff could not recognize
the difference between the pricey card and the cheap junk
commodity card when it was returned. Caveat Emptor.

Wasn't he one of the worst Roman tyrants?

Had it been marked as returned?

I appreciate the warning. I generally buy only DVDs/BDs and parts at Fry's.
I'll keep this in mind if and when I buy anything "nice". Thanks.

Kind of reminds me of when my son bought a wireless dual logitech
keyboard and mouse for $99 from Best Buy.

Got it home and open it..

There laid the contents.

Standard Key board with it's cord ripped out.

Standard Mouse (ball type), with it's cord ripped out.

On top of that, both these items looked brand new, as if some one
may have just bought a new computer and switched them. This store does
on sight upgrades so something tells me a salesman give some one a nice
mouse and keyboard for their cheap desktop they just purchased..

Taking it back was a horror show.. It was going to turn into a legal
battle because I was not going to allow Best Buy to take my kid's $99
from them. They tried like hell to just push me away after they already
told my kid to get lost when he present the package with the contents as
he received it.

I guess the call my wife made and me taking down names of the
managers of the store plus calling head quarters from that store kind of
told them I wasn't going to stop.

I was in the right, I knew it, I had them. I was going for it and
smelling as I was writing managers name down. She finally made a
phone call and then they decided it was in their best interest to give
me a new package. And I did open it at the store to make sure the
contents was there.
Strange thing about this though, I made a suggestion that I thought
this took place in the store since they do upgrades there. I notice one
employee was staying clear of this little gathering at the service desk..
All the others were looking at the contents and could not believe what
they saw how ever, the manager did notice this one employ kind of high
tailed it to the back of the store just as I said that as I look rite at
him!.

Before I left to go to the store, I had already Email head quarters
of the even because of what they did to my son, I was going to take care of
it, even if it meant legal battles.

I didn't get a response until I got back home, when I read it, all it
said was about this rock hard policy about customer returns..
Essentially, the way it was worded, its your tough **** if you get screwed!

I replied back indicating that their store manager did the right thing
by replacing the items and to never call me or reply back to me any
more and I was going do my shopping else where, where they took better
care of their customers and were a little more responsible for their own
dirty laundry with in instead of making the customers pay for it.