Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Planer question BAD ADVICE!

On Sep 13, 6:06*pm, dpb wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

Next time you edge joint a board...try to pull it back towards
you...assuming you have a porkchop style guard.

It'll just slide--the edges are smooth and the spring isn't strong
enough. *They're a knives guard and that's it.

If you can find any manufacturer in any user manual or safety
documentation make any representation otherwise, I'll color meself more
than surprised.

I just did a global search on the words guard and kickback in the Delta
manual I posted a link to earlier and there's a lot of references to
using push sticks and so on to guard against kickback but nary a word
that indicates the cutterhead guard has any role other than its function
by name.

Again, any semblance to being effective in an actual kickback event
(which I've never experienced in 40+ years on a jointer) is a fignewton
of your imagination... *

--

I'll spare you a smart-ass reply but try this:

One more try. Put a board...like a 2x4 in between the fence and the
guard. (Without cutter running... for safety)
Go to the front of the outfeed table and push back towards the infeed
table. The guard should bind the work piece against the fence.
Should.
It is the whole point of the porkchop shape.