Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Planer question BAD ADVICE!

On Sep 13, 5:07*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
The porkchop shaped guard works as a cam and will stop a normal piece
of wood from flying backwards.
Are you sure about that? *(not trying to be argumentative, here)

I have a decent Delta 6" and I can slide a piece of wood forwards and
back against that smooth paint job, without much effort at all.

To my knowledge the spring only exerts the minimal amount of force
required to keep the chop over the blades and not impede the progress of
the wood.

If set up properly, the cam action will impede the movement backwards.

Not buying it, sorry. * :-)

All the cutter guards I've seen have a very smoothly painted surface and
are very easy to move.

Is this adjustment and/or purpose described in any jointer manual you
know?

Again, I'm not busting your balls.
Maybe the higher end planers have the feature and I just haven't seen it.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

One more try. Put a board...like a 2x4 in between the fence and the
guard. (Without cutter running... for safety)
Go to the front of the outfeed table and push back towards the infeed
table. The guard should bind the work piece against the fence. Should.
It is the whole point of the porkchop shape.