Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Temporary (1-2 years) roof covering?

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:48:36 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

cheap shed roofng felt sounds perfect. I expect one layer might be
enough for 2 years, projects often drag on though

It'll do two years easy, our shed roof got re-felted when this
happened to the shed:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....2005&m=04&d=28

That's over 4 years ago and the weather up here is a bit more extreme
than most places. Ordinary single layer of Marley Shed Roof Felt. It
is well nailed down though every 1.5" along exposed edges and about
every 4" on the covered ones.

The roof that was on in April 2005 was put on after this:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....1999&m=12&d=24

Not sure how long after but would have been early 2000, it was still
in good waterproof condition in April 2005.

Did I say we get extreme weather?

If the answer is to put on a wood roof covered with roofing felt
(standard for sheds), then put battens over the whole thing and put
tiles on top, then that might be an option but again may not hit the
'cheap' button.

For the price of a couple of sheets of OSB (I wouldn't use chipboard
or ply, the latter would hard work banging felt nails into) it
strikes me as cheap. The battens you'll need anyway and the OSB/felt
roof and just be battened over and tiled. You'll then have a roof
that will last for donky's years.

OSB can sometimes be obtained from building sites that are nearing
completion. It's used as the perimeter fencing and is just chucked
when the fence is no longer required.

--
Cheers
Dave.