Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Temporary (1-2 years) roof covering?

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:12:33 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, "David WE
Roberts" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I expect to use reasonable depth rafters so I can get some insulation up
between them. I am limited on total height by the current regulations - at
least by the dimensions I have to meet if I don't require buildings
regulations approval.

Are you in England or Wales, or Scotland (or NI, IoM, or the CI)? If
E&W, then you may be confusing Planning and Building Regulations.
B/Regs don't care about the height; you can build a shed as tall as
Canary Wharf, but provided it's a single storey building with a floor
area of no more than 30m^2 and no sleeping accommodation, it's exempt.
--

I am in England.

According to my information the maximum area before building regs comes in
is accompanied by a maximum height.
Logical, really - a single storey light house in your back garden might
unreasonably annoy the neighbours.

e.g. from http://diydata.com/planning/planregp...ning_rules.php "It is
not more than 3m high for a flat roof, or 4m with a ridged roof."
Don't think this site is fully up to date, though.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...315233153.html looks
a better bet.
"#Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of
2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched
roof or three metres for any other roof.
#Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or
container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the
dwellinghouse.
#No verandas, balconies or raised platforms."

Also, 15m^2 max. if within 0.5m of a boundary unless built from mainly
non-flammable materials.

As I will be building within 2m of the boundary I am limited to a maximum
height of 2.5m - 0.5m higher than maximum fence height.

Cheers

Dave R