Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.blind-users
Andrew Hodgson Andrew Hodgson is offline

Default Netiquette (was patronising digital advert)

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:20:46 +0100, wrote:

That's interesting, I use a modern derivative of the BBC and I can
set the quoting threads to speak as it reads the mail even in
different dialects like, West Midlands, Lancashire and even a
Female voice can be chosen, so following convention is apparent
with this particular software if you choose the message to be
spoken as opposed to just being read.

I suspect the people who wrote that software care a grate deal more
about the subject they are righting for - i.e, Usenet access, than a
screen reader manufacturer trying to right software that will cope
with a lot of software that users throw at it.

I used the Arch until the mid nineties when I found I needed to have
more speech output in order to be more efficient with the computer -
i.e, to use them at School. Up until then I had made do with !Speech!
and !PepTalk and using a mode such as 27 (which was fairly low-res).
Come to think of it, I think I have the original disks for these
programs kicking around somewhere.

Andrew.