Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Problem

On Sep 12, 8:25*pm, EJ Willson wrote:
Machine is 8 years old and has worked well for all this time. Today it
stopped working. When I turn the electricity on it hums and does not
rotate. It is not jammed. I can rotate the shaft by hand. Anybody have
any thoughts as to what is wrong?

Thanks,

EJ in NJ

Had one like that and turned out the starting windings in the motor
were kaput. Cheaper to simply slide in a new unit. If the starter
windings are good, the motor may start up if you can spin it fast
enough while energized. That could dislodge some crud in the starter
switch part to permit to operate a while longer.

joe