Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default gas engine clogging up

On Sep 13, 12:24�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Black smoke usually means a too rich gas mixture.

White smoke means the engine is burning oil. If the normal things - like oil
level - are normal, burning oil often means the piston rings are shot or the
cylinder is scored, allowing oil from the crankcase into the firing chamber.

The reason "Magic Mystery Oil" worked is that it made the oil thicker and
harder to get past worn piston rings.

So, then, if the normal things are normal, the engine is bad.

Altho you are correct about the cause of smoke color, I don't rely too
much on peoples evaluation of the color of smoke. I mostly relied on
the fact he had to keep the throttle wide open for it to run at all.
That merely means he isn't getting enough air. Of course, he could've
over filled the oil sump too. But we'll probably never know. :-)

Hank