Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA[_2_] AA[_2_] is offline

Default Philips Econic LED bulbs

On 13 Sep, 10:43, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen.../2009/sep/09/l...

"But how quickly things change. This month, Philips unveiled its new
range of LED bulbs. I was sceptical that they'd be any better than the
several I had tried already but, well, something has definitely
changed in this technology. The 3W Econic spotlight is a direct
replacement for the ubiquitous 35W halogen bulb and claims to have the
same light output. When I tried it out, I found that Philips wasn't
exaggerating. This is brighter than any other LED I've come across.
Putting two in our small shower room, after a while I forgot that the
bulbs were not halogens.

There are some slight issues. The light is whiter than is ideal but by
no means harsh (I wouldn't, for example, have any problems using an
array of these bulbs in my kitchen and bathroom but probably not
bedrooms and lounges). Then there's the upfront cost, which is very
steep – each Econic bulb comes in at £25. But the manufacturers claim
the bulb will keep going for 15 years. Given the electricity savings
over that period too, this might be an investment worth making. This
new range from Philips also includes some candle-shaped bulbs and a
screw-cap bulb too."

Reporter must have got one that is even more efficient than Phillips
imagined, their own equivalency for a 5W cool white LED GLS is 25W.
Also not offered Phillips 7W warm White GLS equivalent to 40W
according to Phillips.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...tInformati on

Adam