Posted to uk.d-i-y
Calvin Sambrook Calvin Sambrook is offline

Default Where to buy some small bolts

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 00:10:07 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

What might be a problem with this lamp is dazzle to on coming
traffic. dipped car headlights have a definite cutoff. This lamp
won't have that and just angling in down a bit might not be
sufficient, some form of hood may also be required.

The purpose of a bicycle light these days is not to illuminate the
road ahead, but to make yourself visible to other traffic. Angle them
to be visible, but don't choose a beam light that might dazzle.

So I'm wondering if this whole thing is a good idea at all?

That might be true in town and if you ride slowly but it certainly isn't
true in unlit areas and certainly not if you want to travel reasonably
quickly. I have both a "make myself visible" standard LED bike light and a
BFO halogen which lights the path ahead. On the rare occasions that one has
failed I've felt very vulnerable or been forced to slow to a crawl depending
on which one it is.