Posted to uk.d-i-y
Calvin Sambrook Calvin Sambrook is offline

Default Where to buy some small bolts

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

Why is it that nighttime cyclists always ride dark-coloured unlit
bikes, seem to have a preference for dark footpaths and breakneck
speeds and wearing black clothing (usually with a hood)?

Hee, hee. An amusing story from last winter...

My cycle route takes me across an unlit common on a narrow-ish path with a
ditch alongside, at one point there is a dog-leg and two cattle grids as the
path crosses the ditch. On one occasion it had been raining hard for days
and the common was flooded to about 10cm but the path is a little raised and
so was fine although had water on both sides.
In winter I ride with a home made 20W 12V halogen front light (which has a
very sharp cut-off so it doesn't dazzle) and I have no visibility problems
at all, even at 30kph. As I approached the bridge I found that the path was
blocked by cows and I was forced to get off and push my way between them. I
got back on and crossed the bridge where I met an unlit cyclist going the
other way at some speed. I shouted a warning "look out, there's cows on the
path" but I suspect that the guy had his iPod ears in and misheard as the
response was obscene and biological (he probably thought I was complaining
that he didn't have lights). Satisfyingly I then heard two rattles as he
went over the grids really quite quickly followed by a pained cry and a
splash.
I did think of going back to check the cows were alright...