Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leak sealers - Are they all the same or are there rubbish ones to avoid?

Cordless Crazy wrote:
Gonna be getting some of this gear to seal a leak which I can not get
to without hacking my new bathroom to pieces. Long story, but it
feeds the towel rail, which is fed under a newly tiled (and UFH)
floor, then up a wall sandwiched between a bath and a cupboard.

Tending to sway towards Fernox as it is top of the range, but will the
Sentinels and other cheapo brands (eg Screwfix No Nonsense range) be
just as good?

Dunno, but the difference in price isn't enough to worry about compared to
the agro involved.

Either way, is the injector tube the better one to go for, from an
installation point of view? How exactly do they fix to radiator bleed
valves without the water pi$$ing out all over the place?

The injector tube can be used on a combi system, the liquid ones have to be
poured into a tank.

I've used two types of injector systems, with both you turn off a rad both
ends & inject the stuff into said rad via a bleed valve & it then disperses
around the system.

One type comes in a cartridge & is used with a mastic gun. The one I used
(Fernox I think, long time ago) didn't mention draining a little water from
the rad, but you do need to - you can't get 300ml in without draining 300ml
out.

The other one was from Wickes & you buy a rubber 'bulb' type pump with
plastic tubes each end & a liquid leak sealer. You use the pump to pump out
water from the rad via a bleed valve then reverse it & pump the sealer back
in.

Both worked & stopped the leaks, I reckon the Wickes one was easier to use.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk