Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Problem

On Sep 12, 6:25*pm, EJ Willson wrote:
Machine is 8 years old and has worked well for all this time. Today it
stopped working. When I turn the electricity on it hums and does not
rotate. It is not jammed. I can rotate the shaft by hand. Anybody have
any thoughts as to what is wrong?

Thanks,

EJ in NJ

Is the unit an In-Sink-Erator with the hex port in the bottom?

I once worked on a unit that I could turn with the bottom wrench but
would still "hum"

I kept turning it with the wrench (both directions).......finally it
ran...noisily, because there was a tiny chunk of something in the
grinding chamber.
I let it run for a long time until it cleared. The item was too small
to see.

cheers
Bob