Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default relay coil inductance

John Larkin wrote:

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:12:12 -0700, life imitates life
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:27:12 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:05:27 -0700, life imitates life
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:53:47 +0100, Pomegranate *******
wrote:

The relay will drop out only when the coil current falls below the
hold-in current. Any suppression method allows the coil current to
gradually decay to zero and must lengthen the drop-out time.

Wrong. You're an idiot. A diode does NOTHING to reduce current via some
gradual decay, you dumb****.

It is a surge device, It eats the entire current, at its maximum rate.

That is not decay, you stupid ****.

The relay coil would drop out immediately by your retarded definition
because the current is removed instantly in most wave forms from the
drivers. The diode clamps the collapsing field's spike. That spike has
no energy to provide the coil with anything that keeps the latch plate on
it.

So you not only know nothing about the "inductive circuit", you also
know nothing about the mechanical operation of the relay assembly either.

Your wrongness is becoming a work of art. Nobody could be this
consistently wrong by mere chance.

The Fujitsu small telecom-type relays that we use have about a 3:1
dropout time ratio, as measured at the contacts, for diode clamped
versus unclamped coil drive respectively.

Try it on some real relays yourself.

John

Give the numbers, asshole, not your "about" ratio.

How many milliseconds?

Note that if the numbers for 3.3 V relays show significantly faster
performance than those 12V numbers that were given showed, all this crap
discussion is moot because it no longer matters, as all methods are fast
enough.

The coil voltage won't affect armature speed for a given relay type,
except that the diode clamp voltage to coil voltage ratio will affect
dropout if you're diode clamping: 0.7 volts is a bigger fraction of
3.3 than it is a fraction of 12.

I suggested that *you* try it, to see if a clamp diode changes dropout
time; you seem to be saying that it doesn't. I'm sure not going to set
up an experimant to prove anything to you; you wouldn't believe me if
I did, or you'd find a way to weasel.

John

Reading for who ever cares!

http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/le...figuration.asp