Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Pruning cuts and healing

willshak wrote:
on 9/12/2009 5:37 PM (ET) Phisherman wrote the following:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:28:28 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

I had to take a slightly larger limb than I prefer to cut off a
tree in my yard today. A six inch limb at a major fork. If it was
not at a fork I would not be concerned. The tree is fairly young,
planted 15 years ago as 1.5" caliper. Some named variety of Honey Locust.

I left a nice collar but I wonder if I might not be better off to
make it a bit smaller so it can heal better.

If anyone in this group has knowledge about this topic I will post
some pics with links.

Colbyt

Best to wait until the tree is dormant. Do apply anything to the
cut, it will heal all by itself. All you need to do is keep it
clean.

My wife paints all cut with Elmer's Glue.

Paint it shut - keep it from properly healing over.