Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Pruning cuts and healing

on 9/12/2009 5:37 PM (ET) Phisherman wrote the following:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:28:28 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

I had to take a slightly larger limb than I prefer to cut off a tree in my
yard today. A six inch limb at a major fork. If it was not at a fork I
would not be concerned. The tree is fairly young, planted 15 years ago as
1.5" caliper. Some named variety of Honey Locust.

I left a nice collar but I wonder if I might not be better off to make it a
bit smaller so it can heal better.

If anyone in this group has knowledge about this topic I will post some pics
with links.

Colbyt

Best to wait until the tree is dormant. Do apply anything to the cut,
it will heal all by itself. All you need to do is keep it clean.

My wife paints all cut with Elmer's Glue.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY