Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Thermal block fixings

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:22:07 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
CD writes:
I've had a google & looked at the FAQ but can't find a deal..
I am under orders to put up 3 wall units today, these will go on the
outside wall which is done in those lightweight blocks that aren't
breeze blocks.
Standard Rawplugs just spin in these due to the crumbly nature of
them.
I fear Rawbolts will just crumble the blocks when they expand.
Screwfix or B&Q are my only options.

I found instructions for drilling thermal blocks on one of the
manufacturers websites some time ago, and since following that,
I've never had any problem.

Most importantly, never use a masonary drill, and never use hammer
action. Neither of these is necessary and will wreck the area
around the hole.

Use something like an HSS metal drill bit, to ensure you have a
very clean cut parallel sided hole, with no damage to the
surrounding area. Then rawl plugs, rawl bolts, and similar work fine.

Would a Bosch Multipurpose Drill Bit be ideal for this?
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.