Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Bring a gun and have some fun in LV

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:56:39 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Thu, 10 Sep 2009
19:34:40 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:34:19 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

Now... the machine that served you those pics is getting
a bit long in the tooth. It's a VIA C3 750MHz with 512MB
RAM. Been going 24/7/365 since early 2002... except for
the occasional power outage that lasted longer than the
UPS, hardware upgrades, etc.
I've got a VIA C7-D 1.5 Ghz, 2GB RAM to replace it.
http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives...oard/index.jsp
Motherboard w/integrated CPU sniped for $10.50 off
you know where. (shipping included)

I need to replace my old computer once again.

I like to live at the edge of obsolescence when it
comes to computers. Never buy anything newer than
two years old, and it's pretty much all affordable.

I always buy computers new, but I wait until I know the particular
chipset is tested well before purchase. Like you, I am quite
fskingcheaperthanhell^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^ H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
frugal.

I "win" most of my upgrades from you-know-where, but

I've never trusted the Bay except for brand new components, like the
160GB external drive I got last year for backups.

I did do a custom build through http://ascendtech.com
once. Price wasn't bad at all, and I got what I wanted.
I should also note that what I got wasn't exactly what
I ordered. The CPU was 200Mhz faster, and the DVD-R was
upgraded, so I had a pleasant surprise when I watched
the bootup messages.

Silly literalist!

Hey, when no witty retorts pop to mind, literalist
is the safe way to go. ;-)

Ooooooooh! swoon Ye olde coffee biz must be doing well.

Actually, the roaster is in a you-store-it place
20 miles from here... so if hiatus = "doing well"
then that it must be.

You picked up a sugar mama?

Nah, same one I've had for the last 33 years.

You may recall the 12x36 Atlas/Clausing that was
for sale? Of course you do. Well, it did, and through
the miracle of currency, 300+ lbs. of iron will be
magically transmogrified into less than 30 lbs of wood.
Some kinda hellacious overhead involved in magic!!!
(There, threee of 'em for ya)

Bueno. Speaking of wood, I have some taped to my finger tonight. The
swelling has gone down some and I can hear a clicking in that distal
phalange, so I'm guessing it's actually broken.

I was at the music store today and thought of you
as my eyes ran across the Saxophone splints... er,
reeds.

Yeah. I demoed that deck yesterday and cursed myself for doing so at
least 30 times as the pain almost brought me to my knees when I'd hit
it. I told the guy that after the day's work, I was SURE it's broken
and pleaded for some time to let it heal. I may hire out the work and
just stupidvise it so it gets done before the wet season. We'll see.
My truckbed is full of the teardown and I'm trying to figure out how
best to get it out of there, -without- the pain I experienced getting
it in there. My neighbor wants a chair built from the better of the
old redwood tubasixes. (keeping to the musical tone of the chat)

My first broken bone at age 56...Oh, joy!

You're lucky. I started out at about 4 years old
with a fractured pelvis in a farm accident. Healed up
"fine" at the time, but it came back to seriously haunt
me during the growth spurt years. There have been a
few minor breaks in the ensuing years, toes & fingers,
but never anything that required a cast.

I was taking nose dives off the highchair before age 1 (stitches in
both eyebrows to prove it) Doctors said I "may have cracked" this or
that but x-rays were inconclusive and it was likely just heavy
bruising.

--
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite
at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.