Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

Default water butts: last question

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Thanks for all your help with the water butts. Just to finish things
off:

I've followed the advice I have received here and rather than use a
diverter, I have connected the drain pipe to go into the butt. There
is even a template on the lid that says "cut here for pipe".

Does it matter how deep the pipe goes into the butt? One post
mentioned taking the pipe almost to the bottom but with a small gap to
allow for any sediment.

If that was the one from Mary, I think she was talking about the #outlet
pipe# . . .
Is this the best solution? is there a reason
that the pipe has to be submerged? Why not just have a short pipe that
finishes nearer the top of the butt?

.. . . and ISTR someone suggesting a strainer to collect debris

This would disturb the surface of
the water when it rains; I don't know whether that makes any
difference?

[snip]
John

--
John Mulrooney

Research suggests that over 90% of pedestrians are the result of an accident