Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
life imitates life life imitates life is offline

Default relay coil inductance

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:40:46 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

"algae" is plural, i.e., algae ARE algae.

Since we do not normally gaze under a scope at a mere single specimen,
in any normal context, they will always get a plural reference, and
properly so. However, since we always know that we are referring to the
mass itself, the remark algae is algae would not be completely incorrect
as it generally refers to a cluster as a whole as opposed to the
technicality that it is several individual specimens.

I'll bet you think that "a bud" is only one flower as well, when in
fact, "a bud" is many many actual individual flowers. No need to
confirm... you know I just busted you. "A bud is a bud."?? No, but you
never said "a bud are a bud" either, didja? A bud is a cluster of
flowers. So, "a bud is a bud" is not completely incorrect. One is not
saying "those flowers are flowers". Essentially, what one is saying is
"That cluster is a cluster."

So that algae over there is algae. Works, as would the term "are" as
well.

So, it is YOU that doesn't know what you are talking about.