Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default GFI Outlet

In article , "RBM"
wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

Yeah, the room is full of code junkies, who can cite chapter and verse
but can't substantiate many of the rules with logic or reason. They
worship the NEC for the same reason the Believers worship the bible:
Because it tells them to.

The damn unalterable truth is that electrocutions in the home are very,
very, very rare. I've posted statistics to substantiate that statement
more than once. Yet the junkies continue to insist by insinuation that
if you grind down a neutral blade, snap off a ground pin, or operate a
light switch with a wet hand, you'll almost certainly be dead in a
matter of milliseconds.

What you call "code junkies", in large part are people who work in the
field, and who's jobs require that their work is done according to the code.
Also, most folks on this newsgroup are asking how to do electrical work in
accordance with the Nec. Personally, I don't think a large number of people
get electrocuted from appliances. So what, I still want to know what the Nec
requirements are

I agree with you on those points. But all too often, the NEC cops are
overzealous in their rigorous adherence to the LAW, even when it flies
squarely in the face of common sense. Replacing a perfectly good washing
machine instead of ditching a ground fault gizmo (the topic into which
this part of the thread segued) is an example.

I am not opposed to safety, but I am vehemently opposed to squandering
meaningful quantities of time and money to make a perfectly safe
condition comply with the letter of the law. If people know the
foundation of a rule, they're capable of breaking it in an intelligent
fashion.