DonkeyHody

Default trex-hiding screws

Tom,
Home Depot has some screws which are specially made to solve your
problem. The last inch or so next to the head has rings instead of
threads. The rings suck the excess plastic back into the hole as they
go in. Also, the head is flat on the underside with a lip around the
edge. The lip cuts a recess for the head to drop into. They use
square drive bits which don't slip as much as phillips. I installed
about five pounds of them a couple of weeks ago and they work great.

DonkeyHody
Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

Hi all,

I tried the trex-suggested method of screwing below the surface and tapping the
trex down over the screw head with a hammer. I really think it looks bad. I'm
looking for alternative methods for securing Trex decking. For the upper deck
portions, I can screw from below, but the lower deck is only six inches off the
ground. Suggestions? I'm also applying a 1x8 Trex facing material and I am
thinking about making some Trex plugs and drilling out for the screw heads. Is
this a good idea? Will I be able to sand these down when done? I see that
sanding causes immediate discoloration, but will the color go back to "normal"
in a few weeks?

Thanks in advance,

Tom