Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Structural Wall?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
As long as he sticks to being a handyman it will be OK. Its
when they decide to make a few extra quid by doing something
they don't have a clue about that they become cowboys. That
and stuff their insurance doesn't cover.

Err, how do you know what his insurance covers?

Who's?

Perhaps you don't realise what you've written. It's at the top of
this post.

Oh I know what I wrote. Its quoted above. You may notice that it says
"they" and doesn't specify an individual.

But can be taken to imply it. Allegedly. Given you appear to have some
restrictions as to what a handyman can be allowed to do.

There are restrictions on what a handyman can do.

I doubt there's any official definition of a handyman anymore than a
builder. And I'm sure they vary in capabilities equally.

Correct, you are getting there.
A builder that does something they don't know how to do or isn't covered by
their insurance is a cowboy.

Taking down an internal wall under the supervision of a pro can
be a DIY task. I've done two here, and I'm not a builder. I've
also seen it done by a 'proper' builder where they took risks.
And then left all the rubble under the floors...

I have also taken down internal walls, without supervision, but I
could tell the difference between the load bearing and none load
bearing walls.

Just by looking at it?

In that case yes.

You must have X-ray vision, then. As well as the ability to do
lightening calculations. My structural engineer did a full inspection
and worked out the loadings.

Maybe he needed to in your case?

In terms of this group it's advisable to take professional advice in major
works such as those. Not everyone has your obvious panoramic knowledge of
building design. And I've seen a lot of properties fall down where some
clown decides a wall ain't loadbearing...

As I said, it obviously wasn't a structural wall.