Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI Outlet

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:19:32 -0400, "Twayne"
wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
rs.com
On 9/10/2009 6:38 PM spake thus:

BTW it is strange that you also don't need AFCIs or GFCIs on any
receptacles in the kitchen that don't serve the countertop.
I bet someone plugged that loophole in the 2011. I will have to look
at the ROP when I get a minute. The draft is out too.

As you know, it all ultimately depends on the inspector. A friend of
mine had to install GFCIs in his remodeled kitchen even in some remote
outlets not on the countertop; one was under an island (no sink
nearby), the other was a wall outlet.

It only depends on the inspector within the realm of the requirements.
He can not unilaterally allow or disallow anything that is specced in
either the NEC, NFPA or local code ordnances etc.. GFCI's are either
required in some locatiosn or they are not. Any inspector who sees it
otherwise should be reported so he can be removed from his job. The
inspector is NEVER the one who interprets the code: that's why there are
committees to decide/implement local requirements and even those must
still be done within the confines of the NEC etc. NEC, NFPA and so on
are MINIMUM requirements and often locall communities will clarify or
add to those requirements, but they cannot remove an NEC requirement
for, say, 3-prong receptacles or anything else. They can only ADD TO the
NEC per its permitted modifications statements.

HTH,

Twayne`

The inspector IS the one who interprets the code. He doesn't write it,
but it is his reading of the code that he enforces. Two inspectors in
the same city may differe significantly in what they allow or dissalow
in some particular instances.

My Dad was an electrician for many years, and he got to know what each
inspector in the area wanted to see. If he knew which inspector he was
going to be dealing with, he could be sure he was not going to get any
defects. What satisfied one would rub the other the wrong way, and
vise versa.