Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Hydraulic fluid question

Ignoramus9171 wrote:
On 2009-09-10, SteveB wrote:
On my new old jack, I put a pint of jack oil in it, and it worked up
and down. It sputtered a couple of times, and kicked out some milky
looking fluid from the filler hole. Aha, I suspected water. I
drained all the oil, and it was a milky gray versus the light black
of new oil.

My question: will this separate overnight, and can I then recover
the oil and toss the water?

I had milky compressor oil once, in the old Quincy that I have.

I set it in a plastic jar on purpose to see if it would separate.

The short of it is that it did not separate after several
weeks.

Compressor shop told me I need to run the compressor over an hour once in a
while to boil off the water in the oil.