Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NG Policies

On 9/10/2009 4:57 PM Jason Carlton spake thus:

Not a big problem, I've just tried to use my Gmail address for NG
posts to prevent as much spam as I can. I've used the same work email
address for 9 years, and it would be next to impossible to change at
this point without losing customers, but I've been cautious with it to
the point that I only get 30 or 40 spam emails a day (which is only
about 1% of my total number of daily emails, so I think that's good).

From what you said it seems as if you're not aware that you have to use
a valid email address to post to Usenet (like this newsgroup). You
don't. News clients don't validate email addresses like mail clients do.

That's my strategy for avoiding spam: I get *zero* spam, since my
address is totally bogus. Plus it can be fun making up phony names.

There's actually no good reason to use a valid email address here, if
you think about it: almost all replies to posts here will be made to the
newsgroup and not to a poster's email address. (Of course, if you want
to initiate email contact with someone here, you can always do that.)

Consider doing that. Then you don't have to change *anything* in order
to read and post here.