Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default GFI Outlet

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Wayne Whitney wrote:
On 2009-09-11, Tony Hwang wrote:

You keep talking about winding insulation. We are talking about
surge(spike)

A balanced surge on the hot returning on the neutral will have no
effect on the GFCI. Only if it leaks to ground will it trip a GFCI.

More accurately, if the Hot and Neutral currents are not equal within a
tolerance range, a gfi will trip. It doesn't matter where the current
leaks to; it can be to other than ground. It's just that usually it will
be ground. So, it's "Only if it leaks current from one conductor more
than another, regardless of whether it's to ground or not.". Ground is
irrelevant to the operation of a GFCI.

HTH,

Twayne`

Cheers, Wayne

Hi,
You are talking theory, in real life out in the field, theory does not
stand always. After all I spent half a century working around this
kinda stuffs. After all nothing is PERFECT in this world.