WORSS

Default trex-hiding screws

Hi Tom,

I have a Trex deck and just drove the screws in (self tapping from
McFeeley's) as Trex suggests. I did find that they look better if you don't
drill the hole first. Then I just tapped down the raised portion with a
hammer. I don't know where you live, but this will work better in warm
temperatures. If you don't like the way this looks, try
http://www.mcfeelys.com/ and look for concealed deck fasteners. These might
do what you want.

Regarding the drilling and plugging.....this will be a lot of work and make
it very hard to replace any boards if you need to. However, if you use the
plugs and sand them, they will end up the same color as the decking over
time. I don't know what color you have, but I have the darker color which
turns a medium grey over time. Good luck.

Bill

"Pykirk" wrote in message
Hi all,

I tried the trex-suggested method of screwing below the surface and

tapping the
trex down over the screw head with a hammer. I really think it looks bad.

I'm
looking for alternative methods for securing Trex decking. For the upper

deck
portions, I can screw from below, but the lower deck is only six inches

off the
ground. Suggestions? I'm also applying a 1x8 Trex facing material and I

am
thinking about making some Trex plugs and drilling out for the screw

heads. Is
this a good idea? Will I be able to sand these down when done? I see

that
sanding causes immediate discoloration, but will the color go back to

"normal"
in a few weeks?

Thanks in advance,

Tom