Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default water butts: last question

Stephen wrote:
Thanks for all your help with the water butts. Just to finish things
off:

I've followed the advice I have received here and rather than use a
diverter, I have connected the drain pipe to go into the butt. There
is even a template on the lid that says "cut here for pipe".

I rigged up my 500 litre water butt so the guttering down pipe went
straight into the barrel. I've cut a piece out of the lid to take that.
And for overflow I've simply used a piece of waste pipe pushed into a
hole I made near the top of the barrel. To seal the hole I've simply
used some mastic. The arrangement works well. Every Spring I empty the
barrel and tip it up washing out all the smelly sludge at the bottom.
The overflow pipe has remained attached during this process without
falling out. However if it did so it would be a minor job to seal it
again with more mastic.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.