Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Bring a gun and have some fun in LV

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:53:52 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I know the feeling. My left index finger took a hit when I was hammering on a breaker bar
and the oversized wood workers mallet (looks like half a rolling pin) caught the edge of
the fender just enough to deflect my aim from the end of my breaker bar to my hand that
WAS going to be in the clear.

Ouch! I use a Shop Fox urethane mallet. NICE! My wrists thank me.
http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-oz-No.../dp/B0006618PO
I'd have used a dead blow on the breaker, though. How's the fender?
titter

Not a mark, except on me. Was a nice shade of purple.

Bueno. (for the fender, anyway)

Cascading waves of pain with reverberation. I thought the finger was broken. Another
couple days and I'll be able to make a fist again.

So, I can say, "I feel your pain" with a straight face.

4 days later it still hurts like hell, but the swelling is going down
and the skin on the top is starting to come up as it heals. I'm still
hoping the nail bed wasn't harmed. The deck/rails/metal cover demo
I'm doing on Friday ought to be interesting. I'll pad the hell out of
it and wear 2 gloves, at least on that hand. Luckily, tearing things
down doesn't take nearly the finess that building 'em requires, so
I'll have an extra week for it to heal.

Hire a kid to do the tear down. I hope the nail bed is okay. So far I'm lucky, in all my
mishaps over the years, I still have all my fingernails and phalanges.

I think I will be, too, but it's too early to tell.

I would have to hire from the labor pool due to insurance and work
comp issues, but the demo should be a piece of cake. 9' pieces of
redwood, 2x4 roof construction, etc. aren't very heavy.

It sure hurts worse than it looks.

At least you are still looking at it attached to you. Your doing better than that elderly
man that met the rabid Obama supporter.

I'm doing better than the guy who owns the deck. He lost 3 fingers on
one hand 2 year ago to his table saw. But mine still hurts.

--
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite
at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.