Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Bring a gun and have some fun in LV

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:34:19 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Wed, 09 Sep 2009
19:42:21 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:42:38 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Wed, 09 Sep 2009
06:13:39 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:

So dump SLRN, eh? Or change the display to suit. Linux doesn't
_have_ to be just like good, old DOS, y'know. g

Exactly. I HAVE changed the display to suit. :-)

Sure, I could give it a white background, different
font, etc., and I could make the quoted text light
gray... but this
http://wizard.dyndns.org/slrn.pre1.0.0-11.png
is just familiar, and it makes picking out the new
material SO easy.

Egad, shades of MS-DOS 3.0 and the ElectroShock Therapy BBS!

I guess you'd rather it look like this?
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/gallery/screenshot_03.html

ROTFLMAO! I just finished watching the remake of "The Day The Earth
Stood Still", with Keanu as the lead.

To answer your question, no, not quite.

I'll bet it's heaps faster there than it was on my old 6MHz 286

box with 640k of memory!

Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ w/2GB RAM
... so, yeah, maybe a LEETLE bit faster.

Whew, I'm so glad!

Now... the machine that served you those pics is getting
a bit long in the tooth. It's a VIA C3 750MHz with 512MB
RAM. Been going 24/7/365 since early 2002... except for
the occasional power outage that lasted longer than the
UPS, hardware upgrades, etc.
I've got a VIA C7-D 1.5 Ghz, 2GB RAM to replace it.
http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives...oard/index.jsp
Motherboard w/integrated CPU sniped for $10.50 off
you know where. (shipping included)

I need to replace my old computer once again.

All in five minutes or less (for _each_ message), right?

The server is 6 feet away so more like milliseconds
per message. Desktop to server pings at around 300?s.

Silly literalist!

I've tried just about every other newsreader there
is, and there just ISN'T anything better than slrn.
Exclamation Point. ;-)

Are you saying that you'd put one there _if_ the reader supported
them? snort

It was a jab at a certain liberal who likes to end
his sentences with, Period.
¡¿How's that?!
(if the reader supported them, indeed)

Gotcha!

Actually, that's due to the editor I'm using with it.
I've never found anything I like better than nano.
Which you'd probably also consider to be DOS-like.
If you ever did e-mail in Pine, the nano editor is
very similar Pine's pico editor, only improved.

Yeah, I used to use Pine all the time to fix my email boxes when
spammers would send 8MB files and choke my 5MB box.

Some of us still use Pine by choice! ;-)
Actually, I did use Netscape 3.0x for mail for awhile.
The novelty of graphical/html e-mail very quickly wore
off. Pine in an xterm does just fine thankyouverymuch.
(I suppose I should upgrade to Alpine one of these days.)

I got used to being able to drag and drop with a gui very quickly and
won't soon give it up, especially with HTML email, graphics, etc.

Hey, I still prefer ncurses aumix for controlling the
audio http://wizard.dyndns.org/aumix.png even though
it can take on a lot of different looks.
http://jpj.net/~trevor/aumix/screenshot.html

Man, oh, MAN! Hain't ya ever heerd of Gnome, KDE, or Motif, son?

Motif is what GEOS on the Commodore 64 was based on,
and then PCGEOS later on. For many years I used the
Lesstif look in fvwm2. I happen to use XFCE on this box,
while the FreeBSD machine has Blackbox as its window
manager. At the moment, I have 10 xterms open on
this machine, plus 9 tabs on a firefox, character map,
and an xpdf. 11 xterms on the FreeBSD box, and that's
it; nothing GUI related. What do I need with Gnome or
KDE anyway? Even my wife, who's much more pointy-clicky
oriented than I, is quite happy with XFCE as her Ubuntu
desktop environment.

Good for her.

I'm sure I'll be playing around with the aumix
configs a lot more if a used Megatar Dragon happens to
show up here. ;-)

Ooooooooh! swoon Ye olde coffee biz must be doing well.

Actually, the roaster is in a you-store-it place
20 miles from here... so if hiatus = "doing well"
then that it must be.

You picked up a sugar mama?

You may recall the 12x36 Atlas/Clausing that was
for sale? Of course you do. Well, it did, and through
the miracle of currency, 300+ lbs. of iron will be
magically transmogrified into less than 30 lbs of wood.
Some kinda hellacious overhead involved in magic!!!
(There, threee of 'em for ya)

Bueno. Speaking of wood, I have some taped to my finger tonight. The
swelling has gone down some and I can hear a clicking in that distal
phalange, so I'm guessing it's actually broken. My first broken bone
at age 56...Oh, joy!

--
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite
at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.