Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gunner -- TSA baggage/firearm

Back in '81 or thereabouts - I was in the Austin Airport - the old one -
and in front of me was two FBI Gold Badges. They were in Austin to
work with the Rangers - and on the way back home.

At the time, they had to show their pistols at the desk, no bullets allowed.
The Ranger got two handfuls of bullets. They both filled out papers
that identified the gun and number to themselves. Then the lady behind
the counter wanted to paste it on the outside of the case. - OH NO Lady -
that insures theft - telling the airport grounds people in xxx (east coast city)
are known for stealing guns. He (senior guy) whips out a document
that contains a gold seal on the bottom - notary - showing the law -
the paperwork goes in the box. In case the box is opened or breached.

It was a hoot to see the FBI on the defensive and recover in style.

Martin

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

I have a Plano Gun Guard lockable case.

Last time I did that post 9/11, I used a lockable cash box inside a
corrugated carton that I taped up after the check-in inspection, on the
theory that it is less of a theft target if the package appears non-
descript and unlocked.

Once pre-9/11 I inadvertently walked through security with a loaded
magazine in my jacket pocket. The guys were amused, let me have the
empty magazine back, and kept the ammo for themselves.

I also remember in those days how after the last flight departed at
night on a given terminal wing, they shut down the security scanners and
let anybody and everybody freely walk in and out without so much as an
attendant watching. A terrorist team could have hidden an arsenal
inside the sterile area back then.

Flying out of Belize to Miami a few years ago, I inadvertently walked
through the scanner with the world's largest Swiss Army knife in my
pocket. I handed it over. I was very upset about this expensive
forfeit, not mention the sentimental value of this personal tool I had
carried for decades. A few minutes later the 3rd-world official caught
up to me and quietly slipped it back in my hand on the way to the gate
out of sight of the crowd. It was a nervous ride home for me carrying
that thing in the cabin. But if anyone needed a bottle uncorked, a pipe
reamed, or a fish scaled, I was ready.