Posted to alt.home.repair
Mint Mint is offline

Default Garage door opener won't close

On Aug 27, 7:25*am, wrote:
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:34:07 -0700 (PDT), Andy

wrote:
The garage door at my mother's house has an intermittent problem.

Sometimes it won't close. If I hold the button down, the door will go
down but when I let go of the bottom it starts going back up.

There isn't anything blocking the sensor.

* * * * Holding the button blocks the sensor. *So you have something
wrong with the sensor, something is really blocking it (small spiders
are really good at that) or there is a wiring problem.

The garage door opener is a Genie screw drive type that is about 15
years old.

What can I look for to diagnose the problem.

Thanks.

That applies if you are in front of the sensor when you are pressing
the button.
I ended up fixing the problem by realigning the sensors.

The garage did some setting on one side and got them out of alignment.

Andy

Andy