Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default Metric

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Ed Edelenbos wrote:
It isn't bizarre... it's based on science. I should have grown up with
it as opposed to having it as a sideline. The majority of manufacturing
and packaging is done with metric... why is my country so stinking
backwards it can't (or more accurately, won't) teach it (effectively) in
schools?

Yes it's *my* country, but I really wonder about it sometimes.

Ed

Because time and time again the cost of migrating has been shown to
outweigh the benefits?

It will happen over time when it becomes cost effective.

The mill I work for, produces hundreds of thousands of parts a day
made from southern pine, the buyers dimensions and specs and final
inspections
are in millimeters and all the buyers reps use metric in any discussions.

It was far easier and cheaper to adopt metric measurements than constantly
make conversions and add another place in the system for errors.

basilisk