Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Yellow glue or ??? for Adirondack chair?

Prof Wonmug wrote:
My wife has an Adirondack chair her son made for her. It's been
sitting in the back yard for years. I tried to get her to let me paint
it or at least seal it, but she wanted it to weather.

Well, not it's broken. A clumbsy relative fell on it and broke one of
the arms. It's a very clean break. I want to glue it back together for
whatever life it has left.

Is yellow glue as good as it gets for this or it there something
better? It's made of redwood.

I presume you mean that he split a piece off of one of the arms?

Personally I'd get out my old can of Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue. The
stuff's hard to find nowadays and you have to buy a pound of it for ten
bucks or so (that pound will likely last you the rest of your life) but it's
good stuff. As for durability, it's FAA approved for structural use on
production aircraft. Epoxy has all the glamor these days but the old
workhorse is cheap and good. Do read the label though and use it exactly as
directed.

Another alternative, find the nearest Woodcraft and see what they've
got--they should have T88 epoxy in a 1.6 ounce syringe for 20 bucks or
so--that should do the job nicely.

Or Titebond III--it's not going to be immersed and there should be enough
irregularity in the split to serve as a key and prevent creep.