Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Metric

"Han" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in
:

I see you now understand my point, the answer to why we still use
fractions of an inch originated by the OP. I have a couple of Bridge
City rules that are in 64 th graduations. Half way between those
graduations is 128 ths of an inch. That measurement is much easier to
mark than 2.65 mm. Thanks for helping me better understand why I
perfer fractions of an inch over metric measurements. Apparently you
need much more sufisticated measuring devices than a rule to measure
sizes smaller than 1 mm. 1/64" is easily marked with a rule.

Leon, that is a good description of the need for finer graduations on your
metric rulers. Has nothing to do with whether metric or US measurements
are more convenient (except, what you're used to fits best, of course!).

Perhaps if the metric measurement were more widely used in th US we would
see rules with finer graduations.