Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default Gunner -- TSA baggage/firearm

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 12:43:25 -0500, Ignoramus9171

On 2009-09-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Peter DiVergilio" fired this volley in news:dde91
:

Put them both on

The non-TSA locks defeat the purpose of the TSA-approved ones, but
clearly uphold TSA's intention that _only_ the owner can open the case.

TSA locks have "dual combinations/keying"; your key or combination, and
one TSA can use to unlock all of them.

(seems pretty insecure, in fact, since I'm sure that "secret" combination
hasn't changed over all the fired/retired TSA inspectors' careers in the
last few years)

It can also be found out by trying all 1000 combinations on a TSA
approved lock. It should not take that long.

The TSA locks I got from Pelican have 4 tumblers, so 10,000
combinations. The TSA part is keyed. Supposedly the TSA keyset is
secured. You have to wonder about that. I think they're secure
enough since anybody that could get the case could just hacksaw off
the plastic hasp or smash the lock with a hammer. Nothing except
airline security (such as it is) can prevent someone from stealing
something as portable as a gun case.

Pete Keillor