Tom Watson

Default Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post?

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 02:44:43 GMT, McQualude
wrote:

I found this question in another group (misc.rural)...
Which is stronger, a round post or square post? Assume the posts are
both made from the same wood and are both equivalent in width.

Wow, what a huge thread !

There's no way I'm wading through all the replies, as dinner is
waiting and I've got to fly.

If the "post" is a fence post and loaded on side

I was taught that the grain line-up, that would decide

As to whether or not it would resist the cow

(Our fence posts were square, and not round but it's "how"

the grain was a'running and not 'bout it's section

t'would resist our big bull with a full-blow erection

and, if our bull wanted to get out, when hot

a square or a circle, it didn't mean snot)

But, if you are saying a post is a column

And holds up big buildings and things that are solemn

Like kitchens and children and Grandfather's rocker

I'll spin you a truth that's not much of a shocker

A square that is six inch on each of it's sides

Has an area greater than circles that wide

The area's key, it's the thing that must rule

And he who says dif'rent is not but a fool.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson