Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default CH 3-port valves - what a nightmare

Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

With regard to my faulty valve, I would have thought it would not be
possible to move the override lever if the valve were physically
jammed, but it moved (with resistance, as expected) and also returned
with the spring. Suppose it depends if the physical connection
between valve and actuator can break or slip if the valve jams?

I've cycled the circuit breaker in the fuseboard and I'll see what
happens...

Michael

Did you test its movement with the lever *before* you'd cycled the power, or
not until afterwards?

If the latter, it could have been electrically 'stuck' in the mid position,
and cycling it may have cured it.

If the former, I suppose it's possible that there could be some crud lurking
inside the valve which is stopping the flap from closing off the CH port
completely - so that you still get some CH flow when only HW is selected.

Although unlikely, there's an outside chance that there's an electrical
fault which is telling the valve to go to the mid position when it
shouldn't. When this problem occurs, can you still feel resistance if you
move the lever, or does it flop about freely?
--
Cheers,
Roger