Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Full house cartridge filters - life span?

On Sep 8, 10:24*pm, gwandsh wrote:
We have a rural cabin with a well, which unfortunately taps a pretty
mean iron vein. *Our tap water had significant metallic taste and
water would eventually leave a pink residue as the iron oxidized. *It
is potable, just not pleasant.

I plumbed in a whole-house filter that runs water from our pressure
tank through a large cartridge filter before hitting our pipes. *We
have been using a larger pore carbon filter for the unit (options
include just particle filters, down to tiny pore options). *The
resulting water is clear, tastes and smells great.

We can get to this cabin only on weekends, and I have noted that we
get about 6 weeks of decent filtering from a cartridge before it needs
changing. *We do have a tap filter on the kitchen sink for drinking
water, but I prefer to keep the iron out of the hto water tank and
faucets where possible.

So my question is: *When we leave the place for 4-5 days at a time, is
it better to leave the filter cartridge in place, or remove it until
we return. *The first choice would leave it sitting in iron rich
water, possibly clogging it up. *The second allows it to dry out, but
perhaps also letting the iron "set" in the filter pores.

We asked the place where we buy filters, and their "tech" saild it
really didn't matter for that lenfth of time. *But for $65 a pop for
the cartridges, I'd like to see if we can get as much use from them as
possible.

Anybody been down this road and have any first hand info to share?

Tnx

My experience with water filters is: buy the 2 for $4 ones at Walmart
and change them once a month. We do that with 2 people 5 cows and 50
trees pulling on the water supply. The setup I finally ended up with
was 4 filters, 2 pair in parallel. That makes for 2 that get change
monthly and 2 that get changed 2 times a year. You can get by with a
lot cheaper filter if you strain it twice.