Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default mower won't turn over

On Sep 8, 6:25*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 07:18:25 -0700 (PDT), harry k

wrote:
On Sep 7, 8:33*am, ransley wrote:
On Sep 7, 9:01*am, harry k wrote:

On Sep 6, 2:25*pm, ransley wrote:

On Sep 6, 1:23*pm, Red Green wrote:

"RBM" wrote :

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter, new
battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt have
enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct cold
cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in assuming that
when the motor is running that the battery is getting charged.. the
mower is about 4 years old..
thanks, cj

Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the plug
and see if it will turn over without compression

And if when you crank it with the plug out, it cranks fine and gas shoots
out of the plug hole then the carb is hosed up. Fluids don't compress
easily.

But if it flooded from the carb often oil level is up because its full
of gas, then oil is worthless a motor can be ruined with gas diluted
oil, gasolene doesnt lubricate.- Hide quoted text -

Yep, my old Ryobi (rebadged MTD) flooded teh cylinder with enought to
hydrolock plus filled crankcase with gas.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

A friends gen did that, I pulled the plug, pulled the cord and I swear
gas shot out 10ft out the plug hole, the crankcase was about
completely full of gas, a 1$ inline fuel filter probably would have
avoided this. Im suprised how most equipment lack inline filters as
standard.- Hide quoted text -

I diagnosed the problem when it wouldn't turn over (saw gas on
dipstick). *Pulled plut and made sure the plug wire could not spark.
Changed oil and then hit the starter - let it roll for many seconds to
clear it out. *Problem was the usual 'stuck float valve'.

??? Why would an inline filter prevent it? *It is just a porous filter
andgas should flow through it, perhaps not as fast as an unobstructd
line but...

Harry K

*It would keep the crap out of the float valve - most common cause of
"stuck" float valve.- Hide quoted text -

But that is what happened to mine. Stuck float valve and it did have
an in'line.

Harry K