Posted to alt.home.repair
gwandsh gwandsh is offline

Default Building a deck, stain now or later?

On Sep 7, 9:05*pm, Jason wrote:
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I'm having a deck built by a
contractor that I don't completely trust. So when he gives me advice
that seems out of the ordinary, I tend to question it.

The floor of the deck is being built with Severe Weather deck boards,
and all of the framing is built with Severe Weather boards, too (with
the exception of the hand rail). These boards seem more wet than other
wood that I've used, and I don't know if it's the type of wood that is
more heavily treated, or just because it rained here last week.

Is it better to go ahead and paint/stain the wood immediately, to
prevent it from drawing up? Or should I wait until it dries out before
treating it? If I should wait, then how long should I wait?

TIA,

Jason

I'm on about my 6th deck, and although I'm not familiar with the
treated wood that you mentiuon, I have never had any luck with getting
a deck surface to take a stain until it has weathered for at least a
couple of months. Last time we decided to stain before the wood had
weathered and the pores opened, we ended up sanding the entire thing
next spring and starting over.

Paint on a deck? I personally wouldn't go that route unless I had no
choice. If so, ensure it has a non-skid treatment.

Good luck, and keep your eyes on that contractor. Sounds like a
"rounded corner" kind of guy.