Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Wiring Garage/shop

On Sep 8, 8:47*am, stryped wrote:
On Sep 7, 11:11*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sep 7, 8:34*pm, stryped wrote:

As you know I am working on wiring a detached garage/shop. I am a
newbie. I have attached a link to my work thus far. I am having a
little trouble figuring out how to route everything. Any helpful
advice is appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42254706@N03/

Just a point to keep in mind...

Your lights should be a circuit of their own so that no power tool can
trip them.

It sucks trying figure out what to do with that 4 x 8 sheet when the
table saw trips the breaker and the whole room goes dark.

My 11 outlets are in one 20 amp circuit. My lights will be on 2
separate 20 amp circuits. It is probably overkill but my thinking was
if the GFCI tripped for one set of lights the other would stay on. (I
have 10 plug in "shop lights" in the ceiling. Since they have to have
outlets, they must be GFCI protected.

I have one 20 amp circuit for the back 6 lights, one 20 amp circuit
for the front 4 lights and also on the circuit will be one or two
outside flood lights.

Should I rethink this?- Hide quoted text -

Two 20 amp circuits and their required 12 g wire certainly seems like
overkill for a bunch of plug in light fixtures.

"if the GFCI tripped for one set of lights the other would stay
on"

I'd choose wired fixtures (or rewire the one's you've bought) and
eliminate the GFCI from ever being an issue.

Wait, I take that back. Since just about every post in this thread has
pointed out something that someone doesn't like, maybe you should
consider putting down the wire cutters and stepping back from this
project for a bit.

It certainly appears that you haven't submitted any plans for this
wiring to the powers that be (maybe you don't have to in your locale)
but since there seems to be a number of questionable things being
discussed here, it might be time to look for help locally (and
professionally) and not through a DIY forum.

Now hold on...I'm not "that guy" that says "Call a contractor"
everytime someone asks for help, but since we are talking about a
fairly large electrical installation here, don't you think it should
be done correctly - to the utmost detail - in to ensure that you and
yours are safe?