Posted to rec.woodworking
FrozenNorth[_4_] FrozenNorth[_4_] is offline

Default Metric

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2009-09-08, Leon wrote:

Ok, What ia half of 5.3 mm?
It's 2.65mm.

Jaysus! If you can't divide 5.3 by 2 in your head, you just flunked
gradeschool math.

nb

Now that you have told me the answer, point me to a rule that will
indicate that distance.

I work with metric these days. Frankly, in 20 years I've never seen
anything 5.3mm called out. Nor have I seen .20866 inches. (Quick, what is
half of that?)

One of the beauties of the system is things tend to be more whole numbers
rather than 21/64 and 17/32. There is no logical reason that we could not
comfortably change and use metric other that we don't want to change. The
rest of the world manages to build some rather complex and sophisticated
machines with it and I bet we could too.

Exactly, being Canadian of sufficient age, I grew up based on the
Imperial system, but the change happened when I was in high school, or
was it junior high, sorry can't remember. Some things to this day are
better in imperial, others make sense in metric.

But I still by 2x4s , and 4x8s as that is what they come in.

--
Froz...