Posted to rec.woodworking
FrozenNorth[_4_] FrozenNorth[_4_] is offline

Default Metric

Morris Dovey wrote:
FrozenNorth wrote:

..65 millimeters = 0.0255905512 inches, approx 1/40

You got a rule accurate to 2.5 one hundredths of an inch?

Lots of us use calipers that split that into 25 parts.

Agreed, I can also make a mark at half a millimeter with a pencil, but
what have I got when I actually make the cut?

More importantly, can you use it?

I can, but generally only use the measuring tools to check the results -
my primary cutting tool is good to +/-0.001, all by itself.

We all don't have a CNC, and you will still have movement larger than
what we are talking about.

Not doubting your skill, but that is getting ridiculously precise for
woodworking.

Not really. Imagine gluing up a table top with that much difference
between the heights of adjacent boards...

ROS
;-)

...or assembling a M&T joint when the tenon was 0.025" oversize and the
mortise was 0.025" undersize.

That can be tweaked, pick one and adjust.

However if the tenon was 0.025 undersize. and the mortise was 0.025
oversize, then we have a problem.

--
Froz...