Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Metric

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message

Oh, I gotta call you on some of these. LOL

Here are the main arguments for both sides of the debate:

Communicating measurements:
2. Imperial is easier to hear and leads to less confusion. Someone
calls out a measurement for a piece of wood, & before you notice it,
you cut 10mm instead of 10cm.
2. Metric is easier to hear and leads to less confusion. Quickly now,
is 19/32" bigger or smaller than 5/8"? On the other hand, it is
immediately obvious that 15mm is smaller than 16mm.

Easier to hear? Which is smaller, 15 $%imeter or 16 @%imeter. Do I need
to repeat that? :!)

Ease of learning:
3. Imperial measurements are easier to learn. You don't have to
memorize all those crazy prefixes: femto, nano, micro, milli, centi,
deci, deka, hecto, kilo, mega, myria, giga, etc.

No friggen kidden, I only knew about 4 or 5 of those, the last one because
of my hard drive.

3. Metric measurements are easier to learn. You don't have to remember
all those crazy measures like inches, hands, feet, cubits, yards,
fathoms, rods, cones, chains, furlongs, cables, miles, etc.

We really only use feet, yards, miles and inches with any common regulirity.

But a good rod is needed for fishin, and cables for TV.

Arithmetic:
4. Imperial uses simple fractional arithmetic which we all learned in
grade school. Not like metric where you need to know all those
prefixes and can easily make a mistake on your calculator & cut
something 10 times too big or 10 times too small.

Exactly

4. Metric uses simple decimal arithmetic where you can use your
calculator directly without springing big bucks for one that
calculates inches and fractions.

What fun is that?

Accuracy:
6. Metric is more accurate. You can easily go to 0.5mm which is more
precise than 1/32"

Not if what you are measuring is 1/32" long.