Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Metric

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message
On Sep 8, 8:36 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

1 pound = "A pint's a pound the world around"

Now I ask you: which is more meaningful to the average person?

Too bad it's wrong. A pint is 1/8 of a gallon

Correct

or 20 ounces.

Or 16 ounces.

A gallon
of water (a real one, not the wimpy American kind) is 10 lbs., so one
eighth of 10 lbs is not one pound.

No you are wimpy. ;~) You muscles are so weak you think a gallon of water
feel like 10 lbs. We Americans are so strong a gallon of water only feel
like about 8 pounds.

Same goes for the silly Yankee gallon, which is eight point something
pounds.

I'll give yo a little there, the Yanks gallons are mostly from NEW YORK
CITY. We Southerners think a gallon feels like 7.8 pounds.

Actually, volume and weight is where the metric system really shines.
For linear distances, it doesn't really matter what you use: inches,
mm, cm, feet, cubits, whatever.

Cuz it is easier for the "challenged" to figger out? ;~)

I was trying to figure out how much rain on my roof it took to fill a
45-gallon drum .

It would take, ummm 45 gallons I bet'cha

How many cubic inches in a
gallon??? While translated in to metric system, it was all
straightforward once I knew how many litres in a gallon.

How many cubic mm's in a gallon? ;~)

Just yankin your chain. ;~)