Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Metric

On 09/08/2009 06:32 AM, Robatoy wrote:

But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with an
archaic system?

The cost for wholesale switchover would be a huge one-time cost, while
the cost for staying is paid incrementally. There isn't enough
incentive to make it worthwhile in the minds of regulators.

Kind of like keyboard layout...Dvorak is 10-15% faster for a trained
typist, but the cost of switching is too high to make it worth doing.

I'm in Canada, so we get everything...metric, US, and Imperial.
Personally I like metric for most things, but living so close to the US
it's just easier to use US units for construction/woodworking.

Chris