Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi Luigi Zanasi is offline

Default Metric

On Sep 8, 8:36*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

1 pound = "A pint's a pound the world around"

Now I ask you: which is more meaningful to the average person?

Too bad it's wrong. A pint is 1/8 of a gallon or 20 ounces. A gallon
of water (a real one, not the wimpy American kind) is 10 lbs., so one
eighth of 10 lbs is not one pound.

Same goes for the silly Yankee gallon, which is eight point something
pounds.

Actually, volume and weight is where the metric system really shines.
For linear distances, it doesn't really matter what you use: inches,
mm, cm, feet, cubits, whatever.

I was trying to figure out how much rain on my roof it took to fill a
45-gallon drum (55 gallons to you, Bubba). How many cubic inches in a
gallon??? While translated in to metric system, it was all
straightforward once I knew how many litres in a gallon.

Luigi